F.O.R.D Crest Ye Olde Brew News F.E.R.A. Crest
March 2002 Fermental Order of Renaissance Draughtsmen Volume 10 Number 3
In this issue:

March's Meeting

The next meeting will be held back at Little Dublin's in Taylor on Wednesday, March 27. Little Dublin's is located on Monroe (between Telegraph and Southfield), just south of Vanborn. Their address is 5855 Monroe and their phone number is 313-278-5340. The competition for this month is India Pale Ale. As usual, the thirsty hard-core who want dinner will start arriving around 5PM, people will drift in for an hour or so, and we will start our meeting around 6PM.

Competition Results

Kathy Loftus

The winners from the Porter competition are:

Porter Competition
Place Name Style Points
1 Doug Geiss and Kathy Loftus Robust Porter 42.0/50
2 Doug Geiss and Kathy Loftus Robust Porter 38.5/50
3 John Rucinski Robust Porter 37.2/50

This March's competition will be India Pale Ale , BJCP category 7 . This an AHA club only competition. The winner can send his or her winning entry to the site designated on the AHA website.

7. INDIA PALE ALE

Aroma: A prominent hop aroma of floral, grassy, or fruity characteristic typical.  A caramel-like or toasty malt presence may also be noted, but may be at a low level.  Fruitiness, either from esters or hops, may also be detected.

Appearance: Color ranges from medium gold to deep copper, with English versions often darker than American ones.  Should be clear, although some haze at cold temperatures is acceptable.

Flavor: Hop flavor is medium to high, with an assertive hop bitterness.  Malt flavor should be low to medium, but should be sufficient to support the hop aspect. Despite the substantial hop character typical of these beers, sufficient malt flavor, body and complexity to support the hops will provide the best balance. Very low levels of diacetyl are acceptable, and fruitiness from the fermentation or hops should add to the overall complexity.  Some alcohol warming may be sensed in stronger versions.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, medium-bodied mouthfeel without astringency, although it has moderate carbonation combine to render an overall dry sensation in the presence of malt sweetness.

Overall Impression: A decidedly hoppy, moderately strong pale ale.

History: Brewed to survive the voyage from England to India.  The temperature extremes and rolling of the seas resulted in a highly attenuated beer upon arrival.

Comments: A pale ale that was brewed to an increased gravity and hop rate.

Ingredients: Pale ale malt (well-modified and suitable for single-temperature infusion mashing); English hops were used in the original versions, but American hop varieties have found a place in many modern interpretations. Refined sugar may have been used in some versions also.  High sulfate and low carbonate water is essential to achieving a pleasant hop bitterness.

Vital Statistics:                  OG: 1.050-1.075

IBUs: 40-60+                       FG: 1.012- 1.016

SRM: 8-14                        ABV: 5-7.8%

Commercial Examples: Anchor Liberty Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, Brooklyn East India Pale Ale, Tupper's Hop Pocket, Great Lakes Commodore Perry IPA, Samuel Smith's India Ale, Fuller's IPA, Highfalls IPA, Victory Hopdevil, Three Floyds Alpha King.

Meeting Minutes - February Meeting

Howard Klix, Jr.

Meeting Minutes: 2/26/2002

This month's meeting started shortly after 6:00, with 25 members in attendance - huge!

Tyler Barber built a new and improved wort chiller for the club system.

Upcoming events:

March 9 - Party at the Sue Merritt's.
18630 Hanna, in Melvindale
Off Oakwood, between I-94 and Allen, across from BP
7:00p or later
Editor's comment: excellent party

April - TBD - Planned joint meeting with CRAFT at Dragonmead in Warren. Howard Jr. will get the exact date and time and let the club know. Editor's comment: This is not going to happen in April. Perhaps it can be arranged later in the year.

April 15 - Deadline for "Brew Your Own Label Contest". This year amateur labels and professional labels will be judged together. Contact Gary Shewchuk for entry forms and more information.

May 4 - National Homebrew Day; Ann Arbor. Look forward to roast piggy this year, as well as the usual entertainment, Big Brew experience, pot-luck, and general good-times. For questions or further details, contact Chris Frey.

May or June - efforts will be underway to schedule one of these monthly meetings at the new George & Harry's Restaurant in Dearborn.

June 20-24 - National Homebrew Convention in Irving, Texas.

September - Mid-month - Beer-B-Q.

September - End-of-month - Octoberfest in Ann Arbor. All proceeds will be donated to the Habitat For Humanity.

Special thanks to Tony Tantillo, our webmaster[Editor's note: Actually I'm just the newsletter editor], and the Barretts for putting together our last pub crawl.

A motion was made for club members to wear name tags at our club meetings. This was approved by the club. Howard Jr. will provide name tags at the next meeting.

April 13th Pubcrawl

Kim Barrett

If you intend to hop the bus for this pubcrawl, please let me know ASAP. I haven't yet received enough responses to make it a reasonable per person cost. It's a new, loaded, 56p motorcoach so it will be nice and roomy.

Crawl Schedule: 1:00 p.m. p/u people at Ford Hdqtrs
1:30 p.m. p/u people at M14-Beck Road
2:00 p.m. p/u people at Ann Arbor-Saline Road
Another p/u point on the route could be added if need be (for example Jackson?).

Stop in Battlecreek ~3:15pm:
ARCADIA, eat there and enjoy crawl-discounted priced pints of their excellent beer.

Go to Kalamazoo ~6:30:

BELL'S, excellent beer of course, and they have a limited menu (burgers on the BBQ, etc.), and have responded that they will be happy to give us a tour and take good care of us!!

KRAFTBRAU, right across the street from Bell's. Also, excellent beer and a cool place (pool tables, etc.).

There's also a possibility that the new MYSTIC BREWING COMPANY will be open by then. Their head brewer is President of the Kalamazoo club (KLOB) and they have offered up some local hospitality.

For more food and/or checking out add'l places in the area there are a couple other brewpubs in the vicinity that serve food, Bilbo's and Old Peninsula; and Corner Bar & Grill is supposed to have great food and an excellent selection of good beer.

Depart Kalamazoo approx. 10:30 p.m.

The cost will depend on the number of people going, est. $20-25 per person.

Please let me know ASAP if you'll be going (and number of people; yes, you can have friends or family join in on the fun). Once I have enough responses to make it a definite go, we'll proceed from there with everyone making your reservations to hold your spot. Questions??? Just let me know.

AHA on the road

forwarded by Rich Byrnes