F.O.R.D Crest Ye Olde Brew News F.E.R.A. Crest
February 2001 Fermental Order of Renaissance Draughtsmen Vol. 9 No. 2
In this issue:

February's Meeting

The next meeting will be held at Sisko's in Taylor on Tuesday, February 27. Sisko's is located on Monroe (between Telegraph and Southfield), just south of Van Born. Their address is 5855 Monroe and their phone number is 313-278-5340. Sisko's also has a website at http://www.siskos.com/. The competition for this month is Stout. As usual, the thirsty hard-core who want dinner will start arriving around 5PM, people will drift in for an hour or so, and we will start our meeting around 6PM.

Kathy Loftus wrote, "Just a reminder that Gabi is putting together a beer trivia game with prizes for the February meeting. She's checking with Sisko's about using their big screen TV. Contact Gabi if you need more info."

Competition Results
Howard Klix, Sr

The winner from the Dunkel and Schwarzbier Competition is:

Name of Competition
Place Name Style Points
1 Richard Hampo Munich Dunkel 35/50

This month's competition will be stout , BJCP categories 12c & 16a-d . The BJCP style guide is listed below. It is a AHA club only competition.

12C. Russian Imperial Stout

Aroma: Fruity esters, reminiscent of dark fruit, merged with intense roastiness and maltiness. Hop aroma is usually also present.

Appearance: Very dark reddish-black color; opaque.

Flavor: Intensely fruity and malty, backed up by balancing roastiness and prominent hop bitterness and flavor. A "burnt currant" character may be present, along with a suggestion of cocoa or strong coffee. Alcoholic strength should be evident, along with a deep, complex malt flavor. The finish can vary from relatively dry to moderately sweet, usually with some lingering roastiness and warming character.

Mouthfeel: Very full-bodied and rich, with intense flavors and perceptible alcohol presence. Carbonation is relatively low.

Overall Impression: An intensely flavorful beer. Roasty, fruity, and bittersweet, with a notable alcohol presence. Dark fruit melds with roasty, burnt, almost tar-like sensations.

History: Said to be popular with the Russian Imperial Court.

Comments: Brewed to high gravity and hopping level in England for export to the Baltic States and Russia.

Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt, with generous quantities of roasted grain. Flavor and aroma hops should include English varieties for authenticity. Alkaline water would balance the abundance of acidic roasted grain in the grist.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.075-1.095+

IBUs: 50-90+ FG: 1.018-1.030+

SRM: 20-40 ABV: 8-12+%

Commercial Examples: Samuel Smith Imperial Stout, Courage Imperial Stout, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, Rogue Imperial Stout, North Coast Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, Victory Storm King.

16A. Dry Stout

Aroma: Coffee-like roasted barley and roasted malt aromas are prominent. Esters low to medium. Diacetyl moderate to none. Hop aroma low to none.

Appearance: Deep garnet to black in color. Clarity is irrelevant in such a dark beer. A thick, creamy, long-lasting head is characteristic.

Flavor: Moderate acidity/sourness and sharpness from roasted grains, and medium to high hop bitterness, provide a dry finish. Balancing factors may include some creaminess, moderate to low fruitiness, and medium to no diacetyl.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, with a creamy character. Low to moderate carbonation.

Overall Impression: A very dark, roasty, bitter, creamy ale.

History: The style evolved from attempts to capitalize on the success of London porters, but originally reflected a fuller, creamier, more "stout" body. Modern versions are brewed from a lower OG and no longer reflect a fuller body than porters.

Comments: This is the draught version of what is otherwise known as Irish stout. Bottled versions are typically brewed from a significantly higher OG and may be considered foreign extra stouts.

Ingredients: The dryness comes from the use of roasted unmalted barley in addition to pale malt, moderate to high hop bitterness, and good attenuation. Flaked unmalted barley may also be used to add a creaminess. A small percentage of soured beer is sometimes added for complexity. Water should have high carbonate hardness.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.035-1.050

IBUs: 30-50 FG: 1.007-1.011

SRM: 35+ ABV: 3.2-5.5%

Commercial Examples: Guinness Draught Stout (also canned), Murphy's Stout, Beamish Stout.

16B. Sweet Stout

Aroma: Mild roasted grain aromas. Fruitiness can be low to high. Diacetyl medium to none. Hop aroma low to none.

Appearance: Very dark amber to black in color, which makes clarity essentially unimportant. Creamy head.

Flavor: Dark roasted grains and malts dominate the flavor as in dry stout, though there is medium to high sweetness. Hopping is moderate and tends to be lower than in dry stout, emphasizing the malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied and creamy. Carbonation low to moderate.

Overall Impression: A very dark, sweet, full-bodied, slightly roasty ale.

History: An English style of stout.

Comments: Gravities are low in England, higher in the exported product.

Ingredients: Lactose is sometimes added to provide additional residual sweetness. High carbonate water is all but essential.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.035-1.066

IBUs: 20-40 FG: 1.010-1.022

SRM: 35+ ABV: 3-5.6%

Commercial Examples: Mackeson's XXX Stout, Watney's Cream Stout, Samuel Adams Cream Stout, Tennent's Milk Stout.

16C. Oatmeal Stout

Aroma: Mild roasted grain aromas. Fruitiness should be low to medium. Diacetyl medium to none. Hop aroma low to none.

Appearance: Black in color. Thick creamy head. Dark color will likely obscure any clarity.

Flavor: Medium sweet to medium dry, with the complexity of dark roasted grains prominent. Medium hop bitterness with the balance toward malt. Diacetyl low to medium. May have a slight nuttiness.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, smooth, silky, with an oily or even mealy texture from the oatmeal.

Overall Impression: A very dark, full-bodied, roasty, malty ale.

History: A variation of sweet stout that is usually less sweet than the original.

Comments: Between sweet and dry stouts in sweetness.

Ingredients: Pale, caramel and dark roasted malts and grains. Oatmeal used to enhance fullness of body and complexity of flavor. Hops for bitterness only. Ale yeast. Water source should have some carbonate hardness.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.035-1.060

IBUs: 20-50 FG: 1.010-1.018

SRM: 35+ ABV: 3.3-6.0%

Commercial Examples: Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, Young's Oatmeal Stout, Brew Moon Eclipse.

16D. Foreign Extra Stout

Aroma: Roasted grain aromas prominent. Fruitiness medium to high. Diacetyl low to medium. Hop aroma low to none. Occasionally has the aroma of alcohol.

Appearance: Very deep brown to black in color. Clarity usually obscured by deep color.

Flavor: Can range from sweet to dry, with roasted grain character obvious but not sharp. Fruitiness can be low to high, diacetyl medium to none. Hop bitterness can be medium to high.

Mouthfeel: Medium full body, creamy character. May give a warming impression.

Overall Impression: A very dark, moderately sweet, strong, roasty ale.

History: Originally high-gravity stouts brewed for tropical markets. Some bottled export versions of dry or sweet stout may also fit this profile.

Comments: These beers possess a stronger alcohol content than other stouts except the Imperial Stout.

Ingredients: Pale and dark roasted malts and grains. Hops for bitterness. Ale yeast.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.050-1.075

IBUs: 35-70 FG: 1.010-1.017

SRM: 35+ ABV: 5-7.5%

Commercial Examples: ABC Stout, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (bottled).

Update on Al Czajkowski
Relayed to the F.O.R.D. list by Rich Byrnes. Editor's note: I know this is about one month old, but I thought that I would publish it in the newsletter for those who do not have access to the F.O.R.D. e-mail list. Perhaps Rich, Doug, or Chris can provide an update at the meeting

"Friday afternoon, I will be undergoing neck resection surgery. The doc will remove some of the lymph nodes on the left side of my neck. I expect this to be the last major procedure I go through before returning to work. There is an expected 3-6 week recovery from this. Surgery is scheduled for 2:30 and will take about 2 hours. I'll be in the hospital (UofM Ann Arbor) for 3-5 days following and home next week."

"I still have soreness in my throat from the radiation treatments and am still on an all liquid diet ( supplements). The discomfort in the throat is getting better and hopefully will be gone in another week or two, though total healing may take a couple of months."

Chris Frey included the following in a message to the list in early February

"I stopped by Al's home this morning to wrap up some old club business, and while he is certainly lost some weight, he looks good. In fact, he stated that he only wants to pack a few of the missing pounds back on! His hair is back and he even believes it is thicker than it was before chemo. He is recovering from surgery last week and plans to be back to work by month's end. He is even hoping to make the next meeting. His prognosis is about as good as they can give - lymph nodes are clean. I certainly look forward to seeing him and his porters again!"

Usenet Newsgroup for Mead
Relayed to the newsletter by Rich Byrnes